Tuesday, August 19, 2014

When DOES it REALLY START ??


I'm talking SUMMER. 

On the calendar it is June 21. Summer Solstice. Longest day (light) of year. But plants don't read a calendar or do astrological charts. So how do they know? Soil temperature, warmth of sun, hours of daylight, & temperature of day: am, pm, overnight. With rain (for some of their water needs) thrown into the mix. 

My seedlings became small plants. Hardened them off & put in the ground. Common wisdom says that by Mother's Day, they can go into the ground. One has to watch, though what is night time air temps and also how warm the ground is, especially when putting seeds in to germinate. Some vegetables do better to put in ground vs started inside as a plant.

I started picking in May & June what I planted in spring this year. These plants whether started from seeds inside to plant seedlings in ground or just direct seed, like the cooler growing conditions of this season.

Radishes

Bok Choy

I said I wasn't planting any kind of peas. You really have to plant a lot to make the harvesting amount pretty decent. Plus require lots of staking & string as rows This is why they cost a lot at markets. But LOVE fresh peas. Just raw are pretty yummy too. Have you tried?

Well, I ended up planting seedlings of peas & seeds of snap peas. I have for many years grown multiple types & colors of peas; in purple fun to look at & easy to see to pick, and snow pea pods in addition to the snap. Their colored flowers add a special element also to the garden. 

Pea seedlings going in some compost & manure.

Peas in ground

Snap peas I spouted first ( overnight in water)

Snaps in and you can see my strawberries coming in nicely to the right. I started with 10 plants of Ever Blooming strawberries & 6 years later... A BIG harvest ahead this year for sure.


Snap peas I shelled to eat to way: peas fresh in a salad & and in pasta. And pods stir fried


Fava beans!!

Italian flat leaf parsley 

 And my cold frame plantings last year survived the winter really well Love when I lift the lid covers & peek inside for the first time!  Very rewarding to have things to pick & eat or cook with before that magical numer 6/21 on calendar: radicchio, rosemary, chives, oregano, flat parsley. 


This dandelion plant over wintered on it's own. 

It's getting hot & GREEN again!


No comments:

Post a Comment