Sunday, August 17, 2014

How-To-Guide for Surviving a Winter



After a very long back breaking cold winter spent endlessly shoveling & covering my low tunnels, at least I felt rewarded by my veggies surviving vs a clear driveway and sidewalk! 


The pattern was snow storm, how pretty, make soup, storm stops, sun out, suit up, get shovel & salt melt & join neighbors, sweat in freezing cold, dry off, eat soup, veg out from exhaustion, look out window at buried garden, BITCH & dream of SOMEPLACE ELSE warm & sunny.

I was too exhausted to much in between snow storms as the above routine repeated frequently that I finally found an outlet for my creativity in carving patterns in the snow piles as I added new layers.



The other fun thing to do was to discover deer tracks in snow!

Not these cute little harmless ones. The real ones, BIG ones, that have become multiple thorns in the side of every urban gardener & farmer around here! 




This is where one of the deer in the Zapata behind my garden ripped my deer netting fence probably with antlers.

It is peaceful in the quite of a snowstorm or right after (before the shoveling & snowblowing start) and the trees, shrubs, perrieneal flowers all are transformed with the snow on them. Gives them a new image, no longer brown, dry & dead. 


No comments:

Post a Comment