Monday, August 18, 2014

"It's alive, it's alive"!!


I'm talking about that little seedlings that I have started inside to get light under the grow lights I've set up in my garage. They need 16 hrs a day. 

I start in seed trays with seed starting soil. I put the trays first on fridge top  under lights to germinate with the heat from a light extremely close to their surface. And a plastic lid that acts like a greenhouse, making moisture.

Then they go under the long grow lights in the area I set up to allow me to slowly move the lights up away from seedlings as they grow. I will thin them out as they grow. You will want to look for the second set of leaves. Some I will eventually transplant into bigger individual pots. Give them all some food. 


When they're 'big enough" (the healthiest strongest only), and it's warm enough outside in spring, I start taking them in & out daily in a protected area ( not direct sun or heat of mid day) to "harden" them off. Meaning get them acculmated to the outside weather conditions. 


I had some "help" this year from Sophia!


It's best to pour the seed growing mixture into tubs and wet them all down mixing with your hand first. Because I learned the hard way that if you put it into the individual cells and then water, it takes you forever to get the substance to absorb the water.


After in, water again, level off, & start planting the seeds according to the packet's suggestions. 

Each little cell is like an area of soil outside.  Whether it's a row or the little cell, you still have to follow the depth that is listed for the seed to germinate properly.



All backs is seed envelops are different. Some just the minimum as they assume you know a lot already. If you choose one of them, you may want to look online first to supplement what they have told you or  compare to a similar flower or a vegetable to see what you did for that one in the past. Some even use international symbols like what's on the back of FRANCHI Seeds of Italy.

These which are from them but imported & distributed by the company from Florida put on translation stickers in English. And the envelope it self has some transitions by the flag of that country in addition to the picture symbols.


Or if you are like me, get seed packs mailed to you from another country or friends bring you some back when they are on vacation, your on your own to translate. Luckily I can read Italian!


The most important task, besides water & light is: Remember to IMMEDIATELY mark the cell or row with what is planted there. YOU WILL FORGET WHAT IS PLANTED WHERE. Trust me, I learned the hard way! And I'm talking outside seed planting too. I use ice pop wooden sticks from the Dollar Store & a Sharpie. No gardener is without these tools!


It's very enjoyable & fun to watch for the first sign of GREEN poking through the seed sprouting mix!



No comments:

Post a Comment