Monday, August 18, 2014

Mad scientist?




Yes that's a part of gardening? Not sure but you can do a bit of "creating" with vegetables & flowers. Takes some knowledge & a will to take a risk & give idea a try.

So I read about propagation for figs plants from a fig tree, in a addition to what the senior from Sicily showed me.

I knew how my father propagated trees, but his way was too tricky, time consuming and it involved policing your fig tree for squirrels destroying your set-up!  NOT what I wanted to spend my time doing. And don't get me started on those garden pests, rodent like animals, those bastards: the squirrels!!! Hate them. Not enough room here to get into that subject here!


So to keep on point, my friend's father from Sicily gave me a plant he propagated in a big bucket and told me how he made all these fig trees from what he trimmed off his friend's tree. It's been three years now & I got his fig tree replanted in a pot. I have been over wintering it in my garage. And it gets an early start in the warmth of my garage. It comes out in the warm spring days with figs already on it.



I made 12 trees from my fig tree two years ago!!. I gave them all away. And then more this year. Gave them away too. This year I might try to sell them.



This summer I am planning to add a few new fig trees in my garden. You can NEVER have enough figs! 

Besides enjoying them just fresh picked, I've made fig gelato, fig sorbetto,
served them with cheeses and a friend's honey from Havertown. When they are in season, I want to try a quick pickle too.

This why one needs multiple trees. Way to yummy to not just eat as they are but when cooking is another hobby, using them in reciepes becomes OK to do. I don't feel like I am "wasting" them!

No comments:

Post a Comment