Sunday, August 17, 2014

Encampment

No, this is not some squatter or homeless encampment in my vegetable garden! 

It's what I did out in dark again trying to save all since dropping below 20 degrees! I only have 1 winter experience trying this & it was mild the last 5 here. I also did with various herbs around lawn. & perinneal plants in pots (PPP).

  

So this winter I kept adding layers and layers as it got colder and colder. That's why we end up with my garden looking like this:


I put some buckets over individual plants like radicchio and then I use the selvged windows that I use to make cold frames.



Lotta work in cold! I used garden tarps & rugs from what my father had around. Plastic cloths were from Dollar Store, plastic table cloths backed with felt. And then desperate times call for desperate measures: used every cheap polar fleece blanket & my Nonnas's crochet & knitted afghans I had in the house.

Crazy looking but if I can keep 'em freezing......

No comments:

Post a Comment