Monday, August 18, 2014

Disaster in garden!

DEER FENCE FELL!!

Worse than before!! I was looking out the picture window at yet another snowfall and something caught my eye as I watched the snow accumulate on the netting ( called "deer netting). I had to deal with this problem in a previous storm. That one I was out DURING the storm for 4 hrs knocking off the snow and securing the fence with more ties as the snow was weighing down the netting and it was sagging in between the poles. And while doing that I tried to drag a huge fallen pine branch. Stupid idea. Was very heavy but I guess I was able to drag a smiggen becuase when I decided I better leave it & get help to move it, and I just dropped it out of my hand, it landed on my left foot. And the excuriating pain immediately told me I broke my 5th baby toe!! How annoying is that? Great winter so far, don't you think?

 
So this storm when I pull my shade up in am & see how much snow fell, something looked odd to me about the fence. Hard to see here. But I ran down to look out the picture window. Yep! They SNAPPED!!  The bamboo poles holding the fence up snapped during the night!! Extremly windy storm last night & while not tons of snow, they are weak. Yea, who would think that bamboo poles could be weak?


I had to go out & see how bad. It was bad!! Look for the poles. Bamboo so light colored. See how they are not 8 ft high any more but folded over instead of straight up? That's a snap!




And if this wasn't bad enough, the deer fencing I put up at our garden fence by neighbor's house is down also!! The deer jump over that fence we found out because they KNOCKED IT DOWN GOING OVER! I guessed they either come up the hill from the park at end of my street & jump IN my yard that way or OUT from my yard there. That a neighbor saw 3 do!!

CAN IT GET ANY WORSE???


YES!!! The DEER WERE IN LAST NIGHT AGAIN!! I know by the gate of the fence to the park..... It's busted out!! The bottom is pushed out!! Looks like they tried to get out from here. This is where they first got IN 3 years ago on July 4th weekend. That's when this deer fence-thorn-in-my-side started!
Maybe the deer fence at neighbor's came down by them jumping in or out too. Now I got to fix entire fence before summer. I got bamboo "curing" under car port. That's what I call it: it's drying out. My neighbor has it growing in her back yard & it's jumped her fence & invading the park. Three years ago I whacked some down with my trusty usefully sharp Hori Hori garden knife as I didn't have enough rebar to build the 1st 8ft deer fence where my property ends at the park. She had some old ones laying around & I saw that those were "hard", as opposed to the ones I cut down. They were still alive, growing, so "soft". So I cleaned out the park of ones popping up in the middle of grass and put under car port to dry out. Yes, they are horribly invasive. They haven't jumped into my property yet because my father built all the walls & there must be 5 ft of concrete every where! It's either a stone wall that my Uncle Ceasar a stone mason helped him build OR cement posts achored in cement to hold the chain link fence. Whew!! But the park.... That's a huge problem. The city of Philadelphia should thank me as my clearing the bamboo out allows the huge field & walk way open for all to use: kids, cyclists, dog walkers. I even stopped some growth by digging up the dirt, exposing the roots & pouring vinegar on them. Killed it right there. But it's easier and cheaper & less time for me now to just cut them down & use. Don't know about the future and this situation.

Sadly, for me, I am finding out with year 2 of a home built deer fence that bamboo poles are not as strong as they say. Maybe thicker poles ones are; not these less than an inch.  So much to do, rebuild the fence. It has to be 8-10ft tall. Look what they just did to a metal gate.

I am going back to bed.....

No comments:

Post a Comment