Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Heirlooms are living COLOR

only grow HEIRLOOM tomatoes. They are from seeds that have been saved over time for many years. Think of them as special. What you grow from them are very special!

They are of of work to grow. Can be fussy, temperamental, and can need at lot of attention.  Depending on the type, they can grow big & super tall. They can grow really wide too & crazy vines all over the place. I GROW organically & that means the plants need more attention to keep pests & watering issues under control. Commercial farmers don't have the time for them.




The colors they come in are endless. And if you love color like I do, well they are how you "play" with your food, as an adult! I always plant a mix of colors. A tomato does NOT have to be red.



This year I planted from seeds: a green stripe( when ripe!), an intense sun yellow, a bright true red, a brownish-red, a purple-red, 2 different pale yellows, one with red through it & other with orange-red & green, an orange one, and some red with green. Amazing.


These heirloom tomatoes are known for growing big & heavy. Mostly when you see them at farm markets, they are sold by weight. 

2013 Consulto Genovese & Black Krim

I entered my tomatoes in a local nursery & garden cemter's first annual Heirloom Tomatoe contest last summer. I won! Twice! My Black Krim took first place in "Tastiest". And my Consoluto Genovese won 1st as the "Ugliest Tomato".



After the judging, all the growers of these gems, sat around and talked shop. All tomatoes & deer fencing. Two serious issues for us. This is where I learned about anheirloom called Italian Heirloom. It was big fat plum, few seeds, very meaty, tasty and an orange red.  He got the seeds from his Italian neighbor.  As it turns out, my friend sent me those same seeds from Iowa this year! I can't wait to grow it this summer.


See how growing in a garden can be so creative for an artist? So many colors to choose. And here I was only describing colors available for heirlooms tomatoes. This varied color palette applies to all the vegetables.


No comments:

Post a Comment