Sunday, August 17, 2014

Chowing down INSIDE!

Takes a lot to get me to go out for dinner in winter. Darkness, freezing cold, & too many layers of clothes.

Why not EAT IN?

Stuffed artichokes 


POTATO GNOCCHI!! My ABSOLUTE FAV!  

I spent hours many times in winter mostly at my Nonni (grandparents Anthony. & Emilia, my Mom's parents) learning how while helping them make sheets pans galore filled with rolled puffs of potato dough. 

After dough is made ( flour, eggs, potatoes, salt), they are rolled into logs any size you want then cut 1" pieces. & roll them off a fork & you got a place to hold home made gravy. ( tomato sauce of your choice). 


You can freeze right away what you are not eating and cook only amount you need. You can do a small batch like I do now & don't freeze just E-A-T!!


Reheated leftover gnocchi are the best!
This is ONE my top comfort foods !


Another one is Polenta! As an Italian  & a Foodie ( is that redundant?!!) I can't have one favorite comfort food!

Corn meal, salt, water. Stir like crazy so no lumps


You can serve this soft, as side, like mash potatoes. Or firmer ( amount of water determines texture). Or really firm that you can cut out shapes with a cookie cutter from polenta spread out on a sheet pan. Chefs love doing this now.

Where my father came from in Tuscany, it was custom to make a one dish meal by first cooking the polenta, then adding greens (sautéed or not) plus cooked beans, stir all together & then scoop big healing hot ladles into a bowl & drizzle extra virgin olive oil on top, grate some parmesano-regiano 
cheese on top & with a glass of vino( wine, homemade red) they had the most PERFECT one dish totally balanced meal!! To die for, trust me!

Here I did broccoli di rape ( broccoli rabe) with beans

This is polenta, greens, & beans waiting for a bath of extra virgin olive oil, a dash of salt & a good shave of chesse. Bon appetito!!


What are your COMFORT WINTER Traditons? We all have them!



No comments:

Post a Comment