Monday, August 18, 2014

My Birthday




You get the hell out of "Dodge". In this case is not the real city of Dodge but where ever you happen to be living. NYC( Manhathan) is no fun in February.
And even LA with almost 365 days of SUN!! does have a winter. So great time to schedule a vacation on an island somewhere. I did quite a bit. No more planning celebrations here in Philly like I used to try and do in high school. My 16th birthday party was a disaster because no one could get down or up the street(a hill ) to my house. Nor the drive way that my father shoveled, salted & tried to de ice. Horribly sad birthday memory.

Traveling as an adult assured more success! Or living in a warmer climate too. At least throwing a party at home or meeting at a restaurant was a possibility! Birthdays are important to me; I like to make a fuss, not just for me. Fun reason to celebrate together with friends. I have been known to celebrate a whole weekend or even a month! 

This year I was keeping it small as good chance a snow storm would hit . So cooked a special meal at home on the actual day. Then met friends at a resturant.


First a cocktail to sip while cooking: a Dirty Martini. Hey, don't judge! I'm cooking my own b-day dinner!


I decided to make for the first time  the Roman pasta dish called "Bucatini all' Amatriciana". I found the correct pasta shape used at a store. It's a thinker pasta strand than spaghetti & it has a hole in the center. 

Of course I did the tomato sauce first. A think marinara. I use lots of garlic,  & tons of finely diced onions, carrots, celery. No meat. The veggies make it really thick. Of course I used the canned San Marzano tomatoes I made from the tomatoes I grew last summer. Ah SUMMER! Back to reality...

Prep.. 






Start pasta... 

Add all ingriedets to sauce..


Serve. Buon Appetito!!

 My dinner with friends was at our fav Vietnamese one. The food is excellent, prices really good. But the most gorgeous space is also a reason to go.  Atmosphere is just what we needed to forget the dull grey skies & dirty snow we are sick of seeing.









Don't you feel like you went some where too??


No comments:

Post a Comment