Friday, August 22, 2014

Call me CHEAP!

Gardening can be done CHEAPLY!

Yes I am declaring my self "Princess of the Do-It- Cheap Gardening"! 


I learned from my father, the "King" of above that method. I used to wonder why he was "bringing home trash all the time", and things from jobs he did. And of course he learned this method from his father. When they came from Italy ( my father was 11), they bought a South Philly row house on one of those super narrow streets more suited to a Fiat than a Ford pick- up truck. Their garden behind home was a small square but with the heat of sun & brick walls, they grew a lot in that small space. 

When I started gardening on a bigger scale than window boxes on a deck, I realized the beauty (ha!), rather,  the smart, wise & inventiveness of doing this. Mostly it's done for why not save some cash? Also, things happen in garden & then you can just reach for something right a way vs having to go to a store.

For the struture to keep the cloths off the vegetables as they GROW, you need hoops. My hoops are made of old election signs repurposed & free. The fabric that raises temps about 10-15 degrees that I bought. Also bought fabric staples to anchor cloth to ground but also use bricks, stones too. And Dollar Store cloths pins to attach fabric to hoops.


I wanted more windows this year so whenever I was out driving, I kept my eyes open for them someone trashed or workers at home that didn't want to take them for scrap metal. Sure enough, last fall I had collected 8 windows! And boy do they work as a quick cold frame.



No comments:

Post a Comment